Monday, October 3, 2011

To Do or Not To Do

“Wish I had just two more hours in a day” – Do you find yourself saying this often to yourself?

Life in a metro makes the concept of “Effective Time Management” almost a laughable one. Most of the modern couples, who are both working and juggling life and work, would do anything to get a few more hours in a day. Isnt it?
Life is no different for me either... Living in the midst of the city’s hustle and bustle, the morning ragas start with sending off my little one’s to their schools along with their snack / lunch / project / and something else always to tag along with their heavy school bags.

A full five minutes of coffee in my balcony seems to be the ultimate luxury for me amidst the morning chaos. Another 10 mins of newspaper? I don’t get tempted too... what else do we do in office ?? :P I shall be enlightened with what the world is up to, when am more at leisure, Read Office :)
The morning though, all what goes on my mind is to get everyone and everything in proper times and proper shapes.

Most of the working women face the dual challenge of home / work time management. Forget gym, yoga or any other personal hobby, women hardly have time to even spend quality time with their little ones. Most of them are either in the day care/ with grandparents whose roles can never be replaced with the parents themselves.

But then, who’s going to pay for the iPods and the annual holidays and the multiplex weekend movies? With inflation, is it possible to raise demanding 21st century kids with a single income? Is it ok for them to spend a lot of time with strangers rather than yourself, just because you promise them a better lifestyle? What matters to kids? Is it the lifestyle / is it your presence?

It still pinches me to see my neighbour who can afford to take her kid for tennis after school. It’s the time she can afford for her kid, while I am still wondering if that homemaker is richer than me. Indeed she is. Most of the tennis schools are off by 6, which is only when me-the mommy is alive again. So what if I earn more... am still not able to drive my son in our brand new car to his favourite sport:(
(Pssst: our neighbour uses a bike).....Why is life so crazy!!!!

I agree, its not just money that women go out for. It’s for their identity, their talent (which should not be spent within the confines of a home), for a better exposure and ultimately, for a better lifestyle.

I just wonder, if it’s entirely possible to achieve all this, without the guilt of leaving your little ones waiting for you to pick them up from the day care...

Leave your suggestions ....

11 comments:

Glad2BMe said...

Welcome to the rat race!
These are common to not just moms, but everyone in the race. If you make time for 'x', you wont have time for 'y'. at some point the 'y' becomes 'me'. funny life is.
I think it is all about choices...
International school vs KV;
Demanding jobs vs making a career of your interest (often that leads to, 'I can work when I feel like');
Nuclear family vs Joint family (never diminishing comforts of grandma's laps & anecdotes for the growing);
blah vs blah blah..
ofcourse everything comes with the premium to pay. There is no sweet spot in the race... unfortunately!
Nice write up:) Feels like one of those side columns in a women's magazine that I end up getting into (rarely) at a waiting lounge in a ladies salon. Lately, I chose smartphone over the magazines since I figured they are not for me :-p
-rajesh

Shanthiprasadh said...

@ Rajesh: Hey thanks raj.. its so encouraging to see your comments on this...
Yeah, the rat race... and compromise are now a way of life..
You wrote so well, it was actually like an epilogue to what i wrote rather than just a comment...
Thanks once again...

Ranjani said...

Gorilla warfare !! lovely blog ... yes it is for the identity and substance women resort to working.The mind gets into a battle because of the mismatch of career n interest, though !
However , every woman has to have an identity and got to realise and establish it the best possible way ..9-6 jobs are not the only way out!!
SImply loved the blog !!
Anju

Shanthiprasadh said...

@Anju : Thanks a ton babes... you knw best what we go thru daily :)

Chandana said...

The most common thing I hear myself complaining! but I don't find Men Complaining about these things but yet we are the ones who had to work, take care of the kids,keep the house neat, cook delicious gourmet meals. I think it's hard for a women to find the right balance between work and taking care of everything else. Easier said than done to all men out there;)

shanti said...

The first thing on Monday morning if anyone asks me how am I ?? " I cant wait for Friday !!!! Again.. are the weekends relaxing??? NO !! We chose this... the work, the career, the identity..however we call it ;-) And we dont have to be guilty for leaving the kids at day cares, atleast now.. the kids enjoy school n activities more than just being with us.. Am sure they will be bored too to have us for more than 2 days in a week...lol... summer vacations for example !! So enjoy the stress.... there is a famous saying.. will share it with u in person ;) Finally.. nice post !!

Shanthiprasadh said...

@Chandana : :) thanks for your comments dear... yeah its easier said than done... and truly, i found men less guilty of leaving the kids when they go out for work, as compared to us..
Maybe they have better answers:)

Shanthiprasadh said...

@Shanti: Heheh...yeah akka...the weekends are even more hectic than the weekdays... but atleast we do what we want to do during the weekends :) ... anyway, you are right... it's what we choose to be/ do ...
I need to yet get to that stage of agreeing to the fact that the kids get more bored at home... maybe in due course of time :D ...
Anyway, life is all about choices... and this is what we choose to be :)

deepa said...

Awesme blog Shanthi! Way to go!!! :-)))...yes work-life balance for us working women is a tact that am yet to master..however, our children look up to us and learn! 'lead by example' is the mantra..my children at home wake to a super positive 'amma', who is chirpy, on her toes, making things hapn for them al the time! They knw and understand that we as parents love them dearly...early mrng beach masti; late nit movies; surprise ice cream parties..this is how I make up my time lost w them! Kids spell LOVE=TIME!..and u give them enough of both..they know for sure that their 'amma' is a fighter..and she goes al out to make their tiny l'l dreams come true..:-))))

Shanthiprasadh said...

@Deepa : Way to go, super chirpy mommy... loved your little suggestions on how to make up for the time lost... you are really a fighter, and your recent "Back-from-death" proves it all...
U are a true inspiration..and a great "School of success" ;)

padmum said...

Try flexi time or working from home options!!

There is a vague movement to have 25 hours in a day ....that will partially answer your problems....or will it?